Your browser does not support JavaScript. Please open your JavaScript console if the webpage does not function normally
Printer-friendly:
Please press Ctrl + P to print
FontSize:
For IE6 users, please press ALT + V → X → (G) Largest (L) Large (M) Medium (S) Small (A) Smallest to choose the font size.
For IE7(above)/Firefox users, please press Ctrl + (+) enlarge / (-)reduce to change the font size.
Bathe Under the Sun
						Feel Nature's Vibes
Bathe Under the Sun Feel Nature's Vibes

Lintianshan Forestry Culture Park

  • Lintianshan Forestry Culture Park

The Lintianshan Forestry Culture Park was formerly the Lintianshan Forest Area, and during the Japanese Occupation it served as Daan Mountain’s log processing ground. Felling, collecting and transporting of timber all carried out here. For its massive scale, it became one of the three large forest areas of eastern Taiwan.
Forestry in Lintianshan began in 1918, with felling initiated by Japanese company Hualien Harbor Timber. In 1939, the company acquired a new name, Taiwan Kougyou Kabusiki Gaisya (ch. Taiwan Xingye Company), and established the Taiwan Xingye Company Lintianshan Logging Office by the Wangping River. A number of logging railways were established and several dormitories and buildings were also constructed to facilitate logging on the site. As logging flourished, Lintianshan gradually expanded to its current scale. After Taiwan’s liberation from Japanese Rule, the Resource Management Committee under the Ministry of Economic Affairs took ownership. The Lintianshan area was placed under management of the Taiwan Paper Company, and forest and wood extraction continued. In 1954, the site was transferred to private ownership.
  • History & development

    The Lintianshan Forestry Culture Park was formerly the Lintianshan Forest Area, and during the Japanese Occupation it served as Daan Mountain’s log processing ground. Felling, collecting and transporting of timber all carried out here. For its massive scale, it became one of the three large forest areas of eastern Taiwan.
     
    Forestry in Lintianshan began in 1918, with felling initiated by Japanese company Hualien Harbor Timber. In 1939, the company acquired a new name, Taiwan Kougyou Kabusiki Gaisya (ch. Taiwan Xingye Company), and established the Taiwan Xingye Company Lintianshan Logging Office by the Wangping River. A number of logging railways were established and several dormitories and buildings were also constructed to facilitate logging on the site. As logging flourished, Lintianshan gradually expanded to its current scale. After Taiwan’s liberation from Japanese Rule, the Resource Management Committee under the Ministry of Economic Affairs took ownership. The Lintianshan area was placed under management of the Taiwan Paper Company, and forest and wood extraction continued. In 1954, the site was transferred to private ownership.
     
    The logging industry reached a peak in 1960 with 2,000 staff members, and a total of 123 dormitories were built to accommodate them. In 1972, ownership was transferred to the Zhongxidng Paper Company operated by the provincial government. Yet by 1973 the logging industry was in decline. Control of the site was assumed by the Taiwan Forestry Bureau, and by 1988 logging at Lintianshan had drawn to a halt. The Taiwan Forestry Bureau merged the two work sites at Guangfu and Fenglin into the Wanrong Work Station, Hualien Forest District Office, Forestry Bureau. Following that, plans were set afoot for the creation of the Lintianshan Forestry Culture Park at the forest area. In 2006, the Hualien County Cultural Affairs Bureau announced the listing of the area as a historical village. There are currently still more than 50 retired staff members living on site in 32 households, and they are the best embodiment of the site’s living history.

  • Current operations

    The Lintianshan Forestry Culture Park maintains much of its Japanese Occupation history reflected through former offices and residences, living facilities, staff dormitories, logging and transportation machines and tools, rail tracks, an old elementary school, and a church. According to its present uses, the site is divided into the forestry exhibition area, early settlement buildings, the remains of Kangle New Village, administration and management area, and hiking trails. Details of the main facilities are explained as below:
     
    The forestry exhibition area is focused around the settlement area at the park’s north and in the machine repair factory situated beneath Senrong Elementary School, where restored wood-carrying and logging equipment is on display. This area further is divided into an outdoor and an indoor exhibition space. Objects from the forest area that are now on display in the outdoor exhibition space include a steam engine, railway used for transporting lumber (the Wenquan line), ropeway platform, and the remains of Kangle New Village (this former family dormitory was ravished by fire in 2001).
     
    The Japanese-style dormitory buildings are constructed primarily from cypress wood, with a further five of the buildings of a tile construction. The dormitory buildings are used for a range of functions including staff accommodation, canteens, rice shop, Christian church, auditorium, school, staff shop, and hot spring hotel. Even though some of Kangle New Village’s 35 buildings have suffered from fire damage, with other structures bearing erosion by termites, heavy rain and wind damage, the site still retains the distinctive style of the original forest industry. Some of the old buildings on site have been restored and re-used as an indoor exhibition space where historical materials about the forest industry, wood sculptures, and snapshots of early workers’ life in the forest are presented.
     
    Senban Trail is located in the south of the park, in the shadow of Changhan Mountain. Visitors may go through the Senrong Church on the western entrance to find the trail’s scenic platform. From there, the trail becomes a little crooked, leading on to the Sanctuary and the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes. This path takes around an hour to walk in its entirety.

  • Future prospects

    In the future, the Lintianshan Forestry Culture Park will be developed alongside other tourist places in the East Rift Valley and be highlighted as an important part of the rift’s leisure network, with a rich ambience of this forestry setting and historical texture an important overarching theme. By taking “scenes of village life” as the developmental launch pad, it is hoped that the old forestry settlements can be revitalized, and act as living, experiential museums about the forestry industry. Through village revitalization, community work, and co-administering the site with local residents, the glory of forest life in the old days may be preserved, and an experiential museum site rich in historical atmosphere can be created.

Basic Info
Address No. 99, Ln. 99, Linsen Rd., Senrong Village, Fenglin Township, Hualien County
Coordinates X: 290305 Y: 2623916 (TWD97)
Tel +886-3-8752100 - Office Service Desk 15, Exhibition Hall 24 and Zhongshan Hall 26.
Email alicemeichan@gmail.com
Responsible unit Hualien Forest District Office, Forestry Bureau
Elevation 163m
Area 14 hectares
Opening hours
  • 09:00~17:00, closed on New Year’s Eve and Mondays.
Guided tour services
  • Weekends and holidays: National Forest Volunteers will provide the services on site.
  • Weekdays: We accept guided tour service applications from any group of over 20 people and under 80 people, such as schools and institutions. Please go to the “National Forest Volunteer” website at http://recreation.forest.gov.tw/English/VL_01.html  or submit applications via fax. If you wish to send the application by fax, please find the form at the Hualien Forest District Office website at http://hualien.forest.gov.tw/ . (The website has an original Chinese language version.  Find "Online Application Form for Guided Tour Services at the Chinan National Forest Recreation Area and Hualien Lintianshan Forestry Culture Park" (池南國家森林遊樂區及林田山林業文化園區線上解說申請表) in the "Download Forms" (表單下載) sub-section under the  "Service for People" (為您服務) section.
  • The park’s service center provide simple meals and holds cultural exhibitions from time to time. Tel: 03-8752378.
Transport information
  • By car

    Northbound: Going from Taitung to Hualien, at 244km Wanrong on Provincial Highway 9, make a left turn onto Provincial Highway 16 and follow road signs to reach the destination. 

    Southbound: Going from Taitung to Hualien, at 244km Wanrong on Provincial Highway 9, make a right turn onto Provincial Highway 16 and follow road signs to reach the destination.

  • By bus

    Take Hualien Bus in front of Hualien Station to Guangfu, Ruisui and Yuli, get off at Wanrong Stop, and walk for approximately 2.3km to reach the destination.

  • By train

    Take Hualien-Taitung Line of Taiwan Railway and get off at Wanrong Stop. Walk for approximately 2.3km to reach the destination.

Park Visit Instructions
  • Please do not shout or talk loudly when visiting displays.
  • Please do not bring house pets, dangerous goods, food, drink, or umbrellas into any of the site’s buildings.
  • Please note that smoking, and chewing gum and betel nut, is forbidden in all buildings

Location & map
另開地圖
Address
Visit counts:1275 Last updated on:2016-05-11