Walk into Nature
						Explore its Ecology
Walk into Nature Explore its Ecology



How would I enter the Forestry Bureau?

Newly appointed clerks of the Bureau are employed and allocated according to related examination categories of the Junior and Senior Civil Service Examinations (公務人員高等或普通考試) which are held each July by Ministry of Examination.  For more information, please check the website of Ministry of Examination.  The information about clerks transfer and other categories personnel recruitment will be announced on our official website.

How would I find information related to ”Forestry Bureau’s Research Results”?

All research results are submitted to the requesting organization and to our Historical Documents Office upon completion of such research. We welcome you to come and use our Historical Documents Office, or you can direct your inquiries to the originator of the research request. If a research project is subsidized by the Council of Agriculture, it will be found in the annual “Summary Report on Agricultural Technological Research (and Construction) Planning, and Results,” some years of this report are also available in our historical records. Bureau address: No. 2, Hanchou S. Rd., Chungchen District 100, Taipei City.

How can I gather samples and conduct research in nature conservation areas?

According to Article 52 of the Cultural Heritage Preservation Law [文化資產保存法], it is stated, “It is forbidden to alter or destroy the natural habitats of nature preserves or conservation areas,” therefore the gathering of samples is forbidden. Please contact the Recreation Sections of Regional Offices to arrange for observations and research.

Do I need to apply for permits to enter nature conservation (preservation) zones?

According to Article 6 of the “Regulations Governing the Establishment and Maintenance of Taiwan’s Conservation Areas” [台灣省自然保護區設置管理辦法], permits from Regional Offices are required in order to enter Conservation Areas; please note on the application form if guides or other information are needed. The exception is the Mandarin Ducks Conservation Area, which is managed by the Forestry Conservation Section, Veterans Affairs Commission, Executive Yuan [行政院退除役官兵輔導委員會森林保育處], and applications for permits should be made there instead. Tel: (03) 9809606 ~ 8 Also, please go to our “Little Forest Encyclopedia” [森林小百科] at our website for information on various nature conservation (preservation) areas, and direct any further questions to our Regional Offices. Nature Conservation (Preservation) Areas are set up to protect the natural environment, and are generally only open for research or educational purposes. The Bureau has set up various Forest Recreation Parks throughout Taiwan, and we welcome your patronage at those parks. Your input is much appreciated.

What is the nature conservation system in Taiwan?

This system includes Nature Conservation Areas, Wild Animal Preservations, Important Animal Habitat Environments and National Forest Preserves. Please refer to the “Organization of Taiwan's Natural Conservation Areas” [台灣地區自然保護區域設置概況] at our website’s Nature Conservation Network. For results of our research, please refer to "Research Projects”at our website.

Forest areas not under Forestry Bureau jurisdiction

1. Shanping Nature Conservation Area: This park is situated in Kaohsiung County and falls under the jurisdiction of the Liouguei Research Center, Forestry Research Bureau. Please direct all enquiries accordingly. Liouguei Research Center Tel: (07) 6891028; Forestry Research Bureau operator: (02) 23033357, 23039978, ask for the Public Relations Division or visit Taiwan Forestry Research Institute.

2. Fushan Flora Park: This park is situated in Ilan County, and is under the jurisdiction of the Fushan Research Center, Forestry Research Bureau. Please direct all inquiries accordingly. Fushan Research Center Tel: (039) 228-900; Forestry Research Bureau operator: (02) 23033357, 23039978, ask for the Marketing Division, or go to their website at Taiwan Forestry Research Institute.

3. Simacouse: This location is classified as an Aboriginal Preserve, not a Forest Park, and is not part of the National Forest System (except for the “Holy Trees Cluster,” which is). We cannot provide tourism information on this area. To our understanding, Class-A Mountaineering Permits are needed in order to enter this area. Tourists are advised to enquire at the Hsinchu County Government Tourism Bureau, or local police stations.

4. Hsitou Forest Recreation Park: This park is managed by the Experimental Forest Management Office, National Taiwan University, thus please direct all enquiries accordingly, their website; operator: (049) 2642181, Hsitou Office Tel.: (049) 2612111.

5. Huisunlinchan Forest Recreation Park: This park is managed by the Experimental Forest Management Office, National Chungsing University, thus please direct all enquiries accordingly, their website; operator: (04) 22840397, Huisun Office Tel.: (049) 2941341.

6. Nanren Lake: This area falls under the jurisdiction of the Kenting National Park, thus all environmental education enquiries should be directed to the Conservation Education Section, Kenting National Park Management Office at (08) 8861321 ext. 242, or use the voice application hotline at (08) 8862048.

Where is Taiwan’s largest “Holy Tree”?

According to our census of March 2001, the largest “Holy Tree” is at the Taian Village, Taoyuan County. This census evaluated the individual trees by their trunk diameters, and the values may differ depending on the methods used or the location and shape of the trunks. Since most of the giant trees are situated in deep forests in the mountains, we advise tourists to view trees situated at open resorts or parks for your safety. Currently, open locations with giant trees include the Daguanshan, Guanwu (Fogwatch) and the Alishan areas. As for the difference between a “Holy Tree” and a “Giant Tree,” it was found that “Giant Tree” is a term commonly used by Westerners, and is the simplest to understand. “Holy Tree” is the term used by the Taiwanese and Japanese, in the belief that large trees have spirits living in them. The terms differ only in cultural understanding, not in nature.

Information on Guanwu (Fogwatch) and Daguanshan (Lala Mountain)

1. Guanwu: Since Guanwu has yet to be declared an open Forest Park, you will not find related information on our website. For information, please see below: The Guanwu Forest Recreation Park is situated on the border of Wufong Village, Hsinchu County, and Taian Village, Miaoli County, in the Shuiba National Park. As of now it is still necessary to apply for a Class-A Mountaineering Permit in order to enter this area. Directions from Taipei to Guanwu: Please take the 3rd Taiwan Highway [台三線] and at Judong Township [竹東鎮] take the Local 122 Road [竹122線] also called the Nanching Highway [南清公路]. Travel along the Nanching Highway towards Wufong, Chingchuan, for about 60km. It is a two (2) hour trip from Judong to Guanwu. As for hotels and other information please enquire at the Hsinchu Regional Office, Tel.: (03) 5224163, or at the Guanwu Lodge, Tel.: (03) 5218853.

2. Daguanshan: Daguanshan is a Nature Conservation Area, not a Forest Park, thus its information is not included under travel and tourism. For information, please refer to our website under “Little Forest Encyclopedia” [森林小百科] then under “Introduction to National Forest Conservation Areas [國有林自然保護區介紹]. You can also request a pamphlet by mail, with return postage enclosed, from the Hsinchu Regional Office (Hsinchu Regional Office Address: No. 2 Chungshan Rd., Hsinchu City).

Information on our publications?

1. To request our publications, please refer to our website under “Forestry Bureau Publications” [林務局出版品] then under “Index of Publications” [出版品目錄].
2. Taiwan Forestry Magazine: Currently a bi-monthly, it is distributed free on request. Please contact the Public Relations Section of the Forestry Bureau, Tel.: (02) 23515441 ext. 224, or ask by mail for your free subscription. 
3. Activities of the Forestry Bureau: Please direct your request to the Public Relations Section, Forestry Bureau, and include NT$20 return postage per copy requested (envelope needs to be slightly larger than A4). Tel.: (02) 23515441 ext. 222.

For further information, you are welcome to browse at our Library, or our website.

Information on National Forest Recreation Parks, Forestry Bureau

Please refer to our website under “VISIT”, then go to “National Forest Recreation” or other subcategories. Please direct further questions to the various Regional Offices or the relevant Parks Offices.
Total Pieces of Info:19  Current page:1/2
Visit counts:18923 Last updated on:2016-05-25